POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ridgedMF-Mountain - params? : Re: ridgedMF-Mountain - params? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ridgedMF-Mountain - params?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 2 Aug 2000 23:56:42
Message: <3988ed7a@news.povray.org>
"Marc-Hendrik Bremer" <Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message

| I have seen some very nice isosurface ridgedMF-Mountains, esp. in the "Icy
| coast"-series. But I can't find params which give me at least comparable
| results. The values of Cristoph Hormann result in a bunch of rocks
(because
| they are from a different tool) and my experiments don't even look like
any
| natural formations.
| I would be very glad if anyone could point me in the right direction with
an
| initial set of values.

I was using a fairly high octaves number of 7 to do the mountains I had made
for the animation I'm currently playing in.
I was generalizing greatly the affect each parameter had:

#declare H = 0.25; // roughening<>smoothing
#declare Lacunarity = 4; // roughening<>smoothing
#declare Octaves = 7; // smoothing<>roughening (computationally intensive
higher)
#declare Offset = 0.5; // height (suggested to start as 1 in the Doc.)
#declare Gain= 2; // smoothing<>roughening (I used too much maybe)

Bob